2.27.2012

musing mondays

Click here to play along.
• Do you read books that are part of a series?
• Do you collect all the books in the series before starting? What if the series is brand new, and the only book that’s been published so far is Book one? As subsequent books in the series are published, do you go back and re-read the preceding books?
Most of the serial books I've read are mysteries. I do like a series--it's fun to see how characters develop over time. The Harry Potter books were a great series. As long as I read them in order, it doesn't matter to me if I buy them all at once or read them as they are released.

7 comments:

JC Jones said...

I like mysteries and follow several series. I do like to see the characters change and grown If they don't I quit reading the series.

caite said...

I do read series..and usually mysteries. but sometimes I will only read one, maybe one I got for review. there are just so many good and so little time!

Gigi Ann said...

I read series, but not necessarily in order they are written. Sometimes I read a book before I find out it was part of a series. I like series book to be able to stand alone. I never buy the whole set before reading them, because, sometimes I get tired of the series, and quit reading them. (Example..Janet Evanovich's Stephenie Plum series) I just got tired of it, and quit reading it. I have a few Audio CDs of it I may listen to someday.

Thanks for the visit today.

wutheringwillow @ A Paperback Life said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Very interesting answer. I like reading detective series like Miss Marple or Poirot. But those can also be read as stand alones. It’s okay even if haven’t read any of the other books. Interlinked books that cannot be read on its own don’t interest me much. Harry Potter is also a childhood favourite!

Monaliz said...

I love series, and couldn't agree more about Harry Potter, one of my all time favorites! :)

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by!

Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

The Gal Herself said...

I'm not so much a fan of mysteries, but of mystery series, and you're right, it's because of the characters. I find myself getting mad at Patricia Cornwell when she doesn't do well by my friend Kay Scarpetta, which is stupid because she CREATED Kay Scarpetta. And I genuinely mourned Robert Parker's passing because I loved Spenser so.

Yvonne said...

I love series books and mysteries are my favorite.