2.20.2012

presidents day meme

1. Can you name the American Presidents we are honoring? Bonus: Any idea when their real birthdays are? (Don't look it up.) George Washington, born February 22; Abraham Lincoln, born February 12--I know they were both born in the US and I think Washington was born in Virginia but I'm not sure where Lincoln was born

2. Why do you suppose car sales are an important aspect of our President's Day observations in the U.S.? (Feel free to be whimsical.) because we mere mortals are not able to be limo driven around all the time, with Secret Service accompanying us

3. Have you ever been President of a club or organization? How did that feel? yes--I like being in a leadership role--so, let's see: President of the Drama Club in high school, president of the Student Activities Board in college, and the American Association of University Women's local branch in 2005

4. If you could have dinner with any President of the United States no longer living, who would it be? Any particular questions you would like to ask? (Please feel free to substitute a nationally appropriate elected leader, such as a Prime Minister.)
I think I'd like to meet President Andrew Jackson to make up my own mind about his presidency--there are so many contradictions

5. On a more serious note, what are the qualities you hope for in our next President? (As above for those who live in other countries.) Jefferson was an intellectual, Lincoln had patience, Carter had integrity, and Teddy Roosevelt was an advocate for the environment, Reagan and Clinton had the savvy... so if we could take the best of them and combine it... that would do

4 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

I'm stealing this, but before reading your answers. This is your area, after all, and I don't want your responses to unduly influence mine.

Tina said...

Lincoln was from Illinois, land of the Gal, was he not?

Bev Sykes said...

Question #1 seems so strange to me because when I was growing up, both Lincoln's and Washington's birthday were legal holidays, so we always had two days off from school in February. I was married when they combined the date into one (1968) and my youngest child was 8 years old when they decided to call it Presidents Day (1980).

The Gal Herself said...

Lincoln chose Illinois and is buried here, but he was born in Kentucky. Growing up in Illinois, I have Abe facts coming out my ears. Which is a good thing -- he was a wonderful President and a genuine hero.

But I wonder if our local school system's emphasis on Abe didn't deprive me of knowledge of the other 43. I know so little about two of the Presidents Kwiz named -- Teddy Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson.