4.02.2012

musing mondays

Click here to play along.
• Do you belong to any book clubs — face-to-face, or online? If so, how long have you been with the group(s)? If not, why?
I am currently in a Reading Group at school--it's mostly teachers. We set our slate of books at the first official meeting of the school year. The person selecting the book is the host of the meeting. That means providing snacks and keeping the discussion going. I've been in this group for thirteen or fourteen years. Sometimes I am unable to finish the books but I still listen and ask questions.

I was in a public library group, too, but found the selections were books I had already read. And as much as I enjoy a lively discussion, there are too many books to re-read for a book group. That group moved into a classics group and I was unable to make the monthly meetings after the switch. But I kept track of what they were reading. I think it is now a defunct group.

And I was in another book group--made up of a real cross-section of ages and occupations for a couple of years. Then several members had children and grandchildren and the group just sort of stopped meeting.

What I like about being in a book group is that I often find myself reading selections that I would not normally pick up on my own. I've discovered a lot of really good books through the group. And it's always fun to see what other people enjoy or what they don't enjoy.

I haven't tried an online group. I'm not sure I would like that, I rather enjoy the face to face gatherings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the face-to-face better, there is more urgency to finish the book. I think online would be easier to blow off (for me anyway). I love that you have been in your group for so long, that is wonderful! My MM is here. http://lostinsidethecovers.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/musing-mondays-april-2/

caite said...

there is a good and a bad side to reading what you might not usually read. but there are so many books, so little time, I would rather spend the time actually reading!

Gigi Ann said...

I agree with Caite, I have so many books waiting to be read. And a book club reminds me to much of school, I have to read a book someone else picked, read it by a certain date, and than maybe have to write a review, or take notes so I remember what I read. No, a book club is not for me.

Yvonne said...

I feel the same way as Caite and Gigi Ann do. I'm not much of a book club person, but everyone is different. I'm glad you enjoy being in them.

Unknown said...

I would love to join an "in person" book group but don't know any around me.

New follower!

Valerie @ Intriguing Reads